Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Second Flag Against the Defense – May 25, 2019

Although it's college, I believe the rule is the same. I'm at the UVA/Duke Semi.

UVA has the ball in their defensive half of the field; flag down, slow whistle, Push against Duke. Play continues.

UVA, now in their offensive half of the field during the same posession, a second flag is thrown against Duke for another Push.

Within three seconds of the second flag, UVA scored.

Goal is counted; both flags are waived-off.

Question...Should the play have been killed with the second flag down? Should the goal have counted?

For high school, I wouldn't have counted the goal and Duke would have been two men down for 30 seconds. Right?

2. Stick check – May 21, 2019

During an official's stick check a player is penalized one minute for a deep pocket on his cross. The player receives one minute non-releasable penalty. The player is advised if adjusted the cross can be returned to the game. Later in game the same player's cross is again inspected by a coach's request. Pocket is still deep. Does rule situation 5.5I give official the latitude to now give this player a three minute penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct? As a second aspect of this question, if a coach's stick check reveals a bad stick, he is allowed another "free" stick check request?

3. Goal grease violation – May 20, 2019

Goal has possession of ball outside of crease and is and is being pursued. Tosses ball into the back of net and retrieves the ball. I think it is covered by rule 4.19. Can't find my rulebook and have a coach and partner insisting this is a legal play.

4. Re-Faceoff? – May 16, 2019

During a face off with the ball loose and no possession. Team A coach calls time-out. Referee inadvertently blows whistle to grant time out after a discussion the officials chose to re-face. Correct or is this alternate possession?

5. Ref goes down – May 15, 2019

for discussion: Today during the first round of the state tournament my partner went down with 30 seconds left in the first quarter with a cut above his eye from the faceoff. He was treated for 20 plus minutes and both coaches wanted me to do it alone. My partner never came back from the trainer. The visting team had to drive two hours to get there and did not want to reschedule it. It was a blow out and it was already 9 to 0. I called my assigners and several others but couldn't get thru. I finally got in touch with a very good and respected official on the board Keith G and he told me by rule I should do it alone. I had no trouble with that since both teams were playng very well and had few flags in the first quarter. I finish the first quarter and had a very nice second quarter alone and it went into half time 15 to zero. The losing coach came to me at half time that he was not happy with his team playing, the seniors cut practice this week and wanted to end the game at the half. I told the coach that the team deserved to be there and did not want to see the kids end the season because an official when down and I would continue by myself if needed. In the end both coaches and the AD felt it was best to end the game. Could I have said no if I felt it was a very difficult game, and legally am I covered if I missed a call and the game got out of control? I was always told never ever do a game alone.

6. Get it in/Keep it in – May 14, 2019

Get it in/Keep it in situation, when the winning team has possession of the ball inside their attack box and they pass the ball but it gets deflected out of the box by the defensive player do they still lose the ball because of an illegal procedure penalty?

7. New count after slow whistle? – May 13, 2019

A is slashed by B in the attack box. Flag down. Play continues until B scoops the ball, obtaining possession. Whistle. Does A have a new 10-second count, since B had possession, or has count been satisfied?

8. Slash on the offensive shooter – May 12, 2019

This actually occurred in a championship game yesterday. Attack man is fouled behind the cage and a flag is down. He drives around the crease and gets a shot off that is saved by the keeper. To everyone’s surprise, the official calls 2 fouls: 1. The original slash by the defender behind the cage 2. A “slash” on the attackman for getting a shot off and his follow through catching a defenseman in the helmet. As a long time coach and former D1 player who has seen my share of games I have never seen this called before

9. Rules Question – May 11, 2019

B-1 long pole is clearing the ball. A-1 short pole slashes B-1 on the ride. I now have a flag down, play-on situation. B-1 dropped the ball as a result of the slash. Ball is now loose. B-2 long pole attempts to scoop the ball and is pushed by short pole A-2. A-2 then recovered the ball. I blew my whistle on the push. My question pertains to my decision pertaining to the flags. I ONLY put A-1 in the box for 1-minute. I did not put a-2 in the box because the ball clearly had not been stepped into the offensive box. My partner said that I should have ALSO put A-2 in the box for a 30 second time serving technical. Who is correct?

10. Penalties Served for Ejected Players – May 10, 2019

In the event that a player is assessed a three-minute unsportsmanlike ejection foul, who serves the penalty time? Can the team play with a man down without a specific player being forced to sit out? Seems unfair if it is the in-home having to sit in the penalty box for three-minutes for someone else's ejection..