Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Faceoff – March 15, 2022

Player sets for the face off with his right leg spread out wide, approximately to the end of his shaft. His knee is above the ground, though bent. I looked in the book and didn't see any restriction for this(shoulder width, etc), but I wanted to check.

2. Meeting Requirement – March 9, 2022

Just wanted to comment that the requirement for everybody to attend four meetings is a good one. This ensures that everyone will have the opportunity to see important information. Also, the 2022 meeting #1 was excellent; focused on the key points and was very effective and efficient. Short focussed meetings, with something for all levels, make the requirement to attend them all easier to handle. Excellent job taking advantage of tech and bringing the organization together around making our product on the field better and more consistent.

3. Another Re-Start Question ! – March 7, 2022

Team A quickly picks up the ball after a turnover 2 yards from the sideline right in front of the visitor's bench area. NO one is within 5 yards of him on the field of play. but the coach and several players are just over the sideline very close to him though out of bounds. As the official do you take the time to move the Team A player 5 yards from the sideline then blow the whistle and thus waste Team A's time ; or move the OOB people five yards away from the restarter then blow it in; or simply blow it in and cede to Team A wish for a quick restart ?

4. Faceoff and taking a knee – March 3, 2022

During the business and rules meeting it was stressed that a player may not place his knee on the ground prior or during a faceoff. Rule 4, section 3, Art 3b appears to read the same. But in the following "Situations and Rules" Rule 4, section 3, 4.3.3 Situation J it reads that A1 is on his knees...(b) rises and stays in a crouch until the whistle is blown. The ruling states (b) legal faceoff position. How could it be both? The player would not be "on his knees setting his hands and stick" if not instructed, "down" by the official so it would appear, to me, that as soon as A1 is instructed to get down in faceoff position and his knee touches the ground he is in violation. Or am I misunderstanding something?

5. Meeting requirements – March 2, 2022

Are we required to "attend" all the meetings? The "Do's and Don'ts" on the NJILOA website says only 2 are required.

6. Restraining Box… Does It Keep Players Out Too? – July 19, 2021

Although we’re not in the High School Season, there’s still a lot of lacrosse being played; so I figured I’d try to see if I can get a Summer question answered. 

During a game, A1 was dominating the Face-Offs – I don’t think he lost one, and most of them he won clean right after the whistle. Team A continued scoring; so on the subsequent Face-Offs, I remained tableside in the two-person game. Resigned to the fact his team had little to no chance of winning a Face-Off, Team B Coach instructed his tableside Wing (B2) to immediately head toward and defend against A2 – an Attackman in the Restraining Box when the Face-Offs commenced, and prior to possession being established or the players being otherwise released – on the Face-Off whistle.

Section 4.4 goes into substitutions between Wing players and those in the Restraining Box; but it doesn’t speak to having a fourth or fifth player crossing the defensive-line after a Face-Off and before possession has been declared. Is there anything illegal about that?

7. Clearing 10 second count incomplete pass – June 13, 2021

Team A is clearing from their defensive end. Defender A1 is on the defensive side of midfield and passes to A2 on the offensive side of midfield. A2 doesn’t catch the ball and the ball is loose outside the box. Since the ball crossed midfield, the 20-second count is satisfied. My question is whether a 10-count should now be started on Team A to touch the ball in or do you wait until Team A has possession on the offensive side of midfield.

8. 10 second count – June 8, 2021

Team A advances the ball into the box satisfying the 10 second count. Team A coach then calls timeout. Do they have to touch the ball in again to satisfy the 10 second count?

9. Simultaneous Fouls – May 21, 2021

Expanding on one of the situations presented during the most recent meeting. We have a play-on for A22 playing without his crosse (he dropped in the vacinity of a loose ball). During the short play-on B1 slashes A2. Does A22 serve 30 seconds for playing without a crosse since that is a technical foul (i.e. illegal procedure)? Short play-ons help avoid these situations. but I am interested in knowing if this scenario results in a time serving penalty given that illegal procedures like this example would never result in time serving except under this or a similar situation.

10. Offside or Not Offside? How to take Players in the Substitution Box into Consideration. – May 21, 2021

Counting forward, Team A has six players on the attacking half of the field; there is also a player in the substitution box who has not yet entered the field of play (let's assume he is not delaying substitution with the intention of gaining an unfair advantage and there are no players serving a penalty). Is the player in the box considered to be in the offensive half or defensive half of the field when we are counting? Or is he not part of the count until he actually enters the field of play? I ask because from the opposite side of the field it is difficult for the official to see whether that player is on or not on the field.