Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Re-Start Spot on Failure to Advance – April 24, 2018

This happened in a game I was watching : Team A is clearing the ball with the 20 second count on. Ball is in the air but short of the midfield line when the trail official indicates "failure to advance" and blows whistle. Team B picks the ball up near the sideline at the goal line extended. Instead of blowing it in at that spot and getting starting again they motion to the Team B to get to midfield for a free clear ! Team A coach goes ballistic saying the ball should be re-started at the spot the ball was picked up. I agree. This was a varsity game. You ?

2. Team in possession of the ball with player in penalty box, end of period – April 23, 2018

At the end of a period, Team B has a player in the penalty box and Team A is in possession of the ball. The next period will start with Team A in possession of the ball, who had previously gained the attack box satisfying the 10-second count in the previous period The next period will begin with the ball at the nearest point when the previous period ended, or laterally outside the attack box.

Question: Does team A need to satisfy another 10-second count when the next period begins?

3. Goalie in Crease – Followup – April 22, 2018

The official who asked about the goalie and his 5 seconds to return to the crease is very astute and probably a very good official. At NO time does it say in the rulebook that the goalie has to return to the front of the crease but rather just the crease. The answers given were simply assumptions ! Answer these situations on your assumptions : fastbreak for Team A, ball goes over the endline, goalie realizes his defense is not set for a quick re-start so he goes to the back of the crease to save time, official sees he is not in front ( as you assume he should be) and yells to him to get in front of the crease. This takes time in seconds and then he starts his 5 second count. Coach of Team B rightfully goes bonkers because he wants a quick restart. Team B is penalized by your assumptions which are NOT in the rulebook. Another scenario is the same as above but the goalie being smart simply takes a step out of the crease in front of the net and waits for his 5 seconds to end, giving his team time to set up and then simply steps back in front of the crease. This is legal. Bottom line : you are making assumptions when the rulebook says differently. Think about it.

4. Stick Checks – April 21, 2018

I had someone do 5 stick checks in a game. Ironically, the checks stopped after the crew found an illegal one. I know the book says 2 minimum. Isn't doing more that that simply looking for trouble?

5. stick checks – April 19, 2018

Rule 4-27 1b means if coach A requests a second stick check for an opposing player B, Coach A will be penalized if the second equipment check again reveals no violations. My question is what if the first stick check revealed an illegal stick, is coach A is still allowed another "free" stick check without possibility of penalty? My interpretation of the rule is that Coach A is allowed a second "free" check without fear of penalty. Do you agree?
    For a second question on stick checks the following scenario was addressed to me from someone who watched a LAX game in Florida.
    Officials find a bad stick when doing their equipment check between periods. They assess 3 minute non-releaseable penalty and award a free clear to the opponent. The opponent scores during the first three minutes of the non-releasable EMO. However rather than facing off after the goal, the officials allow another free clear to the scoring team. I would have conducted a face off with the penalized team being a man down on the wing. Rule 4-3.1.

6. Time-Out – April 19, 2018

If a team calls a time out with the ball in the opponents goal area (defensive end of field) where is the play restarted.

7. Overruling – April 18, 2018

In overtime, Team A has possession off a goalie save, and begins a clear. After numerous attempts to call a TO, whistle from one official blows.. and a second later a whistle from another blows, claiming too many men on the field. O2 over rules O1 and possesion is awarded to Team B. Is there anything to say that play was dead on the TO whistle?

8. Goalie in Crease – April 17, 2018

Team A shoots on goal and the ball goes over the end line. Goalie races to the spot but is beaten by a Team A player. Team A ball. Within two seconds goalie races to the back of the goal - not in front of the goal- and the official blows it in at that point. Team A quickly passes it in front of the goal and they score. Team B coach goes berserk saying that the official should have counted a couple more seconds to 5 seconds and let the goalie get to the front of the goal. Official says he was in the crease when he blew it in though not in front of the net. What say you?

9. Inadvertent Time Out Given – April 17, 2018

Team A has the ball with possession. Team B coach calls "time out" and the near official gives it to him ! Team B has A, time outs left or B, no time outs left. Officials realize their mistake . What do you do ?

10. Fouling Out – April 14, 2018

B1 slashes A1 -- flag down, slow whistle; before the play is dead and the penalty is administered, B1 slashes A1 again -- second flag down, slow whistle... scoring chance ends and the penalties are reported.

I report the first slash against B1, then the second against B1 -- a total of two minutes.

If it were B1 and B2 committing penalties, each would've served a minute; but because it's the same player, should it be two minutes?

Assuming B1 only has to serve one minute for the two slashes, should the second unenforceable minute -- because it's within the same sequence -- be counted as accumulated time toward B1 fouling out?