Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Headsets – March 14, 2019

Are we allowed to use headsets on the field?

2. Test.2019 – February 27, 2019

I have copy of test.for 2019..How do I access EXAM..to up date my current status...I checked My Arbiter...It is NOT Listed There..Thank You..2//27/19....

3. Exam – February 21, 2019

when will the exam be posted on the Nfhs central hub testing area to input answers?

4. Getting started – August 5, 2018

I am interested in becoming a lacrosse official in New Jersey and am having trouble getting started. What’s the first thing I should do to start my way to offiating lacrosse games in New Jersey?

5. No Goal “Mechanics” – May 22, 2018

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there is no signal or mechanic for a "no goal" . Have seen many officials-veterans too - give the football "incomplete pass" waving of the arms signal to indicate that the goal was not scored. What say you ?

6. When are the Players Released on Face Off ? – May 21, 2018

Face off occurs. No possession. Ball gets pushed into the alley -crosses the top of the box if you extended it to the sideline. Ball is now between the sideline and the side of the box. Do you call "possession" when it crosses the imaginary line of the top of the box to the sideline or do you wait until someone actually takes possession of the ball ?

7. Positioning Prior To Face Off – May 21, 2018

Can the players stand in the alley - outside of the box but behind the top of the box if you extended it to the sideline ? Prior to the face off of course .

8. Game Management – May 21, 2018

Watching the Cornell/Syracuse game last weekend, got me thinking about handling a situation on the High School level.

The scenario: Team B is down 1 goal, with less than 15 seconds left in the 4th quarter. A1 slashes B1 -- flag down, slow whistle. For argument sake -- although it didn't happen -- A2 trips B2 -- another flag down, slow whistle.

The slow whistle never came, as time expired before Team B's scoring opportunity ended. The game ended with a flag on the field.

Given the game time and score, should the officials ever kill the play prematurely? Regarding the Slow-Whistle Technique, Rule 7-7, 8-2:k states, "a defense foul is committed during the final two minutes of regulation play with the team that is ahead possessing the ball in the goal/attack area, unless a scoring play is imminent." The Rule says nothing about the offended team losing on the scoreboard, which leads to my question...

I get it, it's possible Team B scores in the final 15 seconds, and then starts Man-Up on the Face-Off in the remaining game time or the start of Overtime.

One can argue the onus is on Team B to manage the situation; once the flag is down, they could call Time Out -- if they have any remaining, or throw the ball to the ground to kill the play... conceding their scoring opportunity for a Man-Up advantage. That said, should an official ever kill the play in order to make sure the penalty is administered -- again, in this unique situation?

I think I know the Book answer; I'm asking more about the game management answer.

9. Releaseable? – May 14, 2018

A1 has 20 seconds remaining in a releaseable personal foul. B1 is sent to the box for a 1 minute releaseable foul. Does the first 20 seconds of B1’s penalty, and the last 20 seconds of A1’s penalty, become non-releaseable?

10. Penalty Against the Goalie – May 10, 2018

In a game a couple years ago between two lower level teams we called a personal foul against Team A's Goalie. We assess the penalty and tell Team A Coach he has 1 minute to warm up his back up. He informs us he doesn't have a back up goalie. As we are talking to the coach explaining that his goalie needs to serve Team B Coach says to just let the in-home serve. The game wasn't close at this point so I think he was just looking to get the game going again.

We decided to have the in-home serve. One reason was I felt that fudging the rule in this case was better than asking some kid who has never played goalie before to throw on the equipment and expose himself to injury.

How should we have handled this situation?