Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Illegal Substitution? Playing the Ball Out of Bounds? Or is it something else? – April 4, 2019

Middie A2 is in the substitution box waiting to sub in for middie A25. As this is happening A is clearing the ball from their defensive end. As A34 throws the ball up field his stick is hit by B causing the ball to go straight up in the air toward the sideline near the substitution box. A25 exits the field through the box and A2 jumps from out of bounds from the box and while in the air he hits the ball with his crosse successfully keeping it from going out of bounds. What is the correct ruling?

2. Flag Down Slow Whistle – Loose Ball Technical – March 31, 2019

We got asked this by a coach this weekend. I obviously am not trying to call anyone out, just want to be sure what is the right call.

A in possession. B slashes, flag down slow whistle. Ball becomes loose. During the loose ball, A pushes (or commits any technical foul) against B. Slow whistle ends because A committed a foul or violation (7-8-2d).

The coach said the officials did the following. B served 1 minute for the slash. A served 30 seconds for the loose ball push.

The rule book really only discusses a loose ball technical foul by B during a slow whistle (7-8-2 Situation).

I would assume that the loose ball technical foul by A during the slow whistle would just effectively end their slow whistle opportunity and award them the ball due to the B slash. It seems like by giving A penalty serving time, you are "penalizing" them twice, once by ending the slow whistle (their scoring opportunity) and twice by giving them a time serving foul.

Should A serve 30 seconds for the loose ball push during a flag down against B or should the slow whistle just end and the flag down gets adjudicated?

3. Too Many Men… – March 23, 2019

I'm transitioning to the new Lead as Team A advances across midfield. B1 darts out from the sideline about five yards onto the field, realizes he shouldn't have, and darts back to his bench. Because it happened right in front of me, I count quickly and throw a flag for Offsides -- B1 made eight on Defense.

Had B1 stayed on the field, it would've been a slow whistle with GOODIES in play.

If, after returning to the sideline, B1 returned to the field during the slow whistle, would that be a second flag on the defense -- thus, killing the play?

Would that now be a second flag for too many players on the field -- which was the proper call initially, had it been a settled situation and I counted everyone?

Does anything change if B2 comes onto the field after the initial flag on B1 -- making it eight on defense?

4. New rule, flag down – March 22, 2019

With the flag down slow whistle, if the ball is lost by the team in possession can a "play on" be indicated to remind coaches and players that the ball is still live?

5. FACEOFF – March 21, 2019

LENGTH OF TIME FACEOFF MAN IS ALLOWED TO KEEP BALL CLAMPED

6. 3 man mechanics on FO – March 15, 2019

How far from the faceoff men should the helper be at the whistle ? 5 yds ? 10 yds? Some guys are "miles" away and can't possibly be of any help !!!

7. To Play or Not to Play ( this is the question ) – March 15, 2019

What is the Association's stance on one official doing a) a varsity game; b) a high level varsity game; or c) a sub-varsity game by himself if his partner does not show up ? Assume the official is a) a veteran official or , b) the official is inexperienced .

8. Pre-Game Reading of Statement – March 15, 2019

Does the head coach have to be present at the reading of the statement to the coaches and captains? Can he send an assistant ?

9. Kill the Play ? – March 15, 2019

Ball is loose. "B" slashes "A" player. Flag down. "A" then picks up ball. As the throwing official do you kill it after the flag seeing that the ball was loose or let them continue under the new rules and force the defense to get possession before killing it? How long , if at all, do you wait ? What do you do if the slash was simultaneous with "A" picking up the ball ?

10. Over and Back ? – March 15, 2019

"A" brings ball into box and sets up . A errant pass goes to midfield. A "B" player behind the midfield line trys to check "A"s stick but touches the ball before it goes over the Midfield line. The ball then goes over the line and is picked up by "A" D-Man who passes it back over the midfield line to a teammate. As the official on the play I say I have nothing seeing that "B" touched it before it went over the midfield line.