Forum Questions

The following questions have been submitted and answered.  Please click on a question below to view more details.

1. Penalty enforcement – May 10, 2019

A is man down with the ball in attack zone in front of A’s bench. B1 slashes A1 flag down.
    A’s bench taunts B1, flag down stop play.
    What is the correct procedure?

2. Goal Not On GLE – May 8, 2019

There's a lot of action in front of the crease, both teams feverishly trying to scoop the ball -- but only defensive players (including the Goalie) are in the crease. Somehow, the goal gets knocked off center -- angled like an open door, with one pipe probably three feet from GLE.

If that was something done intentionally I'd probably give the defense a Conduct Penalty.

Should the play continue until the unsettled situation becomes settled? Or should play be suspended immediately when the goal is knocked off-line and go to AP? If that action in front of the crease resulted in a goal, should it count?

3. PA Announcer – May 5, 2019

Worked a game at a Passaic Cty. school last week. They have a PA announcer that does play-by-play announcing over the loud-speaker! Ex: "#23 Joe Schmoe gets the pass from Johnny Pepperoni... clears it up the side-line", etc... Besides being loud & annoying (plus kind of one-sided since he mostly did it for the home team as he was unfamiliar with the visiting team players), I told him to stop & that it was "against the rules". This obviously interferes with coaches communicating w/us or players, or us with them/our partners, but later I could not find anything within the NFHS Rule Book or the NJSIAA handbook about this specifically. I did find something prohibiting noisemakers like horns & cowbells, but nothing about how a game can be announced. Both he & the AD said they'd been doing it all season long to that point & nobody had said anything (if you can believe that!?!). Is there a policy against this anywhere?

4. 5 Seconds for Goalie – May 4, 2019

This actually happened ! Shot goes wide and crosses the endline near the pylon. Goalie runs after it and the ball is awarded to his team. D-man picks it up, no one within 5 yds so my partner blows it in. Problem is that the goalie was hustling back to his crease and had a long run. Well the D-man gets jumped , loses the ball the other team scored before the goalie could get back to the crease ! Coach went berserk claiming , even though he had the ball, that his goalie still had 5 seconds to get back to the crease ! My partner said "no". What say you ? If the answer is "yes" then one would have to check with the goalie if he is going back to his crease every time he is out of it.

5. Crease – May 4, 2019

Goalie makes a save and comes out of the crease with the ball. A middle from his team goes in the crease and the goalie passes him the ball, which he then runs out of the crease. It doesn’t look right, but I can’t find anything truly wrong. He doesn’t get privileges, and has to get out in 4.

6. Substitution regarding Goalies – May 3, 2019

Can you outline the process we should all be following when it comes to a team needing to substitute for their Goaltender on... A) a penalty on the Goalie or B) an injury to the Goalie. HS officials should not employ the Jr. practice of allowing a Goalie who commits a penalty to remain in the game simply because it saves time or the coach says he doesn't have a properly dressed back-up. How much time do they get to suit up a replacement (if they don't have a back-up) & how much time do they get to warm him up? When is a Time-out required?

7. Over and back – by the Defense ! – May 2, 2019

"A" brings ball over midfield and enters the box. Ball becomes loose and without possession "B" knocks the ball across the aforementioned midfield line. "A" picks it up in their defensive side of the field. Does "A" have 20 seconds and then a 10 or is there no count at this point ? What happens if "A" calls time out once they pick it up in their defensive side of the field ? Do they have the 20 and 10 on the re-start ? Please explain !

8. Possible Delay of Game – May 1, 2019

Late in a close game, the Goalie (from the leading team) makes a save, his momentum takes him to the ground, and he lands on the ball -- apparently, unbeknownst to him -- while still in the crease.

He doesn't have possession of the ball, so I don't think a four-second count should start; but I'm not sure if Withholding is applicable in the crease.

With time being critical for the trailing team, should there be Withholding, Delay of Game, or something else? Or nothing at all?

9. Picked Up Flag during Live Action – April 25, 2019

This actually happened in a varsity game : a veteran official, as the trail , threw his flag for an offsides on Team B and Team A continued to the attack zone and passed the ball around. He accurately realized that there was no offside. He calmly went over to the flag, picked it up and announced very loudly that there was no offside/no foul and to continue play. No one said anything, the coaches didn't complain and there was no interruption with the play of the game.! Was this handled correctly ?

10. No Horn – April 24, 2019

Visiting team scores late in the 4th quarter to tie the game. Before the next crucial face off the visiting team coach calls over the Referee and points out there is NO horn at the table by the home team. He wants a technical foul called and his team given the ball and no face off. Referee checks on this and confirms it. He then gives the ball to the aforementioned visiting team. I say NO ! The referee is wrong and he should tell the coach he had the opportunity at the start of the game to do this. What say you ?